This Scholarship will be awarded to a worthy graduate of the Wayne Community School District. This scholarship is intended to benefit a student who has made the best use of his or her ability, and shows financial need in order to pursue additional education.
All scholarship money will be presented upon proof of enrollment at a junior college, college, or university for the ensuing fall semester. A scholarship recipient may apply for subsequent scholarships for the remainder of their 4 year education.
- Applicants must be graduates of the Wayne Community School District (or districts succeeding the district and serving Wayne County) with the intention of enrolling full-time at a junior college, college or university.
- Applicants must have maintained at least a 2.5 grade point average throughout high school. A signed copy of the applicant’s transcript must be provided.
- Applicants must submit a letter of application, which includes the information set forth above as well as the following additional information:
- the name of the college, university, or junior college they plan to attend;
- why they chose this particular institution of higher learning;
- what led them to this career choice;
- a statement of personal and educational goals pertaining to the chosen career;
- a summary of any work related experience in the field of study; and
- a statement of how the student has made the best use of his or her ability, and a demonstration of financial need.
- Applicants must supply a letter of recommendation from a school representative and a letter of recommendation from a non-related community representative.
- Applicants must appear, if requested, for an interview with the Clarabelle and Junior Henderson Scholarship selection committee.
- Scholarship applications must be received by the applicant’s high school guidance counselor by April 1 annually.
- A scholarship must be claimed by March 1st of the year following the one in which it was awarded (generally two semesters). If not claimed, the scholarship will be considered forfeited, and the amount awarded will be returned to the appropriate scholarship fund. Special exceptions may be granted by written permission from the Wayne Community Foundation Board of Directors.
Applications for the Scholarship will be judged using the following criteria:
- Personal qualities/strength of character
- Community service
- Financial need
- Work experience
- Strength of recommendations