The Richard Pyner Memorial Scholarship is made possible by gifts from relatives, friends, former colleagues and students, in memory of Richard (Dick) Pyner and his forty years of service to Wayne County in the field of education.
An annual scholarship will be awarded to a student who is planning a career in public school education. All scholarship money will be paid to the scholarship winner upon presentation of proof of enrollment at a junior college, college or university for the fall semester.
- Applicants must be residents of Wayne County and be graduating from one of the following schools serving Wayne County students: Lineville-Clio Community School District, Mormon Trail Community School District, Seymour Community School District, or Wayne Community School District (or districts succeeding these districts and serving Wayne County) with the intention of enrolling full-time at a junior college, college or university.
- Applicants must rank in the upper half of their high school class, and have maintained at least a 2.8 grade point average. A signed copy of the applicant’s transcript must be provided.
- Applicants must have participated in sports, music, and/or other extracurricular activities while in high school.
- Applicants must have been involved in some form of church and/or community organization or activity.
- Applicants must submit a letter of application, which includes the information set forth above, as well as the following additional information:
- the name of the college, university or junior college they plan to attend
- why they chose this particular institution of higher learning
- the area of teaching they plan to enter
- what led them to a career choice of public education
- Applicants must supply a letter of recommendation from a school representative and a letter of recommendation from a community representative.
- Applicants must appear, if requested, for an interview with the Richard Pyner Memorial Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarship applications must be received by the applicant’s high school guidance counselor by April 1 annually.
- A scholarship must be claimed by March 1st of the year following the one in which it was awarded (generally two semesters). If not claimed, the scholarship will be considered forfeited, and the amount awarded will be returned to the appropriate scholarship fund. Special exceptions may be granted by written permission from the Wayne Community Foundation Board of Directors.
Applications for the Richard Pyner Memorial Scholarship will be judged using the following criteria:
- Community Service
- Demonstration of Leadership
- Personal Qualities/Strength of Character
- Extracurricular School Activities
- Academic and Scholastic Record
- Financial Need