Two graduating seniors from Wayne Community School and two graduating seniors from Seymour Community School will each be eligible for a $1000 scholarship annually. These are intended to be need based scholarships for deserving students to encourage them to continue their education.
All scholarship money will be presented upon proof of enrollment at a junior college, college, or university for the ensuing fall semester.
- Applicants must be graduates of the Seymour Community School District or Wayne Community School District (or districts succeeding these districts and serving Wayne County) with the intention of enrolling full-time at a junior college, college, or university.
- Applicants must have maintained at least a 2.5 grade point average throughout high school. A signed copy of the applicant’s transcript must be provided.
- Applicants must submit a letter of application, which includes the information set forth above as well as the following additional information:
- the name of the college, university, or junior college they plan to attend
- why they chose this particular institution of higher learning
- what career they are choosing to pursue and what led them to this career choice
- a statement regarding financial need and how this scholarship would benefit their education
- a statement of personal character traits and their school and community involvement
- Applicants must supply a letter of recommendation from a school representative and a letter from a community representative whom isn’t a relative.
- Applicants must appear, if requested, for an interview with the scholarship selection committee.
- Applications must be received by the applicant’s high school guidance counselor by April 1 annually
- A scholarship must be claimed by March 1st of the year following the one in which it was awarded (generally two semesters). If not claimed, the scholarship will be considered forfeited, and the amount awarded will be returned to the appropriate scholarship fund. Special exceptions may be granted by written permission from the Wayne Community Foundation Board of Directors.
Applications for the Scholarship will be judged using the following criteria:
- Financial Need
- Desire for continued education
- Personal qualities / strength of character